How to Start Poultry Farming in USA? Poultry farming is the practice of raising a large number of domestic birds for food production, such as eggs and meat. Poultry farming is a rapidly expanding sector of agriculture and farming business. In this business, poultry farming has a better chance of making a profit. With the increased demand for poultry products, poultry farming is one of the most profitable businesses. It is regarded as the agricultural sector’s fastest-growing division.
Poultry farming is defined as the commercial rearing of domestic birds for the production of meat, eggs, and feathers. However, while poultry farming appears to be a lucrative business, many people fail due to a lack of proper knowledge and business acumen. Typically, the American Poultry and Egg Association is the world’s largest and most active poultry organisation. The United States has a robust poultry industry, with over 518 million chickens on hand. In the United States, chickens were primarily raised on family farms or, in some cases, poultry colonies.
Key Benefits of Poultry Farming
The poultry farming industry has numerous advantages.
- Higher yields are obtained from poultry farming. To become a poultry farmer, you don’t need a lot of money.
- Poultry farming does not require many locations to begin, and you can begin with available land.
- Poultry farming can be immediately profitable. Poultry farmers simply require less attention. A licence for this business is simple to obtain.
- You are promoting high-demand agricultural products. Opportunities for employment are created at various levels.
- Most banks and businesses will approve loan packages for poultry farmers. This provides a quick return on investment. Marketing is a breeze.
- A business can be started with very little money.
- Profitable in a short period of time.
- Simple marketing.
- There isn’t much upkeep required.
- A licence is not required.
- Global demand is extremely high.
How to Start Poultry Farming in USA?
America is the world’s largest producer of poultry meat and the world’s second-largest exporter. The consumption of poultry meat (broiler, chicken, and turkey) in the United States has increased. Currency fluctuations and economic growth in import markets have harmed the US poultry industry. Feed grains are heavily consumed by the poultry and egg industries. Knowledge of the industry as well as extensive training are required for any potential entry into the poultry industry. According to the USDA, 97% of the country’s poultry farms are under the control of a major producer, with four major producers controlling more than half of the poultry and turkey markets.
1. Choose the Best Location to Start Poultry Farming in USA
- Poultry farms should be located away from residential and industrial zones.
- It should have adequate road infrastructure. It should have basic amenities such as running water and electricity.
- Farm labour is readily available at low wages.
- The poultry house should be located in a high area where water will not accumulate.
- It should be properly ventilated.
2. Housing to Start Poultry Farming in USA
In recent years, commercial chicken farm housing has come under intense scrutiny. There are advantages and disadvantages to various meat bird or layer options. The most common housing systems are solid metal or mesh poultry cages with loose floors that house 3 to 8 birds. Water is supplied by an overhead system, and feed is fed into a trough along the cage’s front. They can be decorated or spread on the floor depending on the available space.
Where adequate food supply is a major concern for growth, traditional broiler production systems work well. There are holes in a single-layer cage for eggs to fall through. If you’re raising chickens, you’ll want parent cages that allow for mating and where egg breaking is minimised. Rearing cages are used in some breeding systems to allow chickens to grow. There are numerous options for those who raise chickens in backyard chicken coops. Protection from predators could be a major issue.
3. Select Your Poultry Sector to Start Poultry Farming in USA
The poultry farming industry is vast. Broiler and layer farming are the two types of poultry farming. Broilers are chickens raised for meat, whereas layers are hens raised for eggs. In general, the chicken-rearing industry operates in a variety of fields. So, decide whether you want to work in all fields or limit your poultry farm business to one or two fields of your choice, especially in the beginning. You can choose from the following types of poultry farming:
- Production of Meat (Broiler Breeding).
- Production of Eggs (Layered Breeding).
- Production of Poultry Feed.
- Breeding Chickens (Hatchery).
- Processing of Eggs and Meat.
However, before starting a poultry farming business, consider sales assurance. Consider the risks involved if you decide to enter the broiler business, for example. Start a broiler business, for example, by contacting broiler companies in your area.
4. Important Poultry Farming Equipment to Start Poultry Farming in USA
The quality of your equipment will determine the success of your poultry business. You can feed your birds healthily if you use high-quality equipment. For poultry farmers, various equipment is available, and you can obtain at least basic equipment. Feeders, watering cans, ventilation systems, cages, coops, and perches are all required on poultry farms.
For the poultry business, you will need to install brooders or heaters, lighting equipment, and an egg tray. However, you do not need to outfit your small poultry business with all of the necessary equipment. Many of them are complex and expensive. It is best to start with only the necessary equipment to keep your chickens healthy. Then, as your company grows, you may be able to obtain a loan to purchase more expensive goods.
5. American Chicken Breeds to Start Poultry Farming in USA
The American poultry breeds are extremely productive. They are chickens of medium size. Their lobe is red. They have no wings on their legs.
- American Game
- New Hampshire
- Plymouth Rock
- Jersey Giant
- California Gray
- Holland Chicken
- Rhode Island Red
6. Popular Poultry Breeds in USA
This includes birds developed in the United States by crossing Mediterranean and Asian species. They have two functions: they lay meat and eggs. Despite the fact that there are eleven different breeds, the most well-known are as follows:
Rhode Island Red – The most popular of the American breeds, it was imported into the United States due to its tough nature. It can live in humid, dry, or rainy conditions. It can be used for anything. This is a good layer with large brown shell eggs. Meat quality and production are both excellent. Baby chickens grow quickly and are not as delicate as adults. Rhode Island Red comes in two varieties: single-combed and rose-combed. A chicken weighs about 3.8 kg on average.
New Hampshire: This breed was named after the location where it was created from Rhode Island Red Stock. When compared to the Rhode Island Red, the body is less rectangular. The plumage is a dark oak-red colour. It has grown in popularity in recent years due to its hardiness.
Delaware: The body is broad and sloping towards the tail. The feathers on the wings, neck, and tail are white with black markings. They grow quickly and are thus ideal for meat production. A male’s and a female’s average weight is 4 kg and 3 kg, respectively.
Rhode Island White: It has a similar structure to Road Island Red, but its plumage is white rather than red.
Wyandotte: This bird has a relatively round body, a small beak, and a rose comb. It is useful for both eggs and meat, but it is more popular as a table bird. It lays nicely. A hen and a hen weigh about 4 kg and 3 kg, respectively.
7. Exotic Poultry Breeds in USA
Both large and small producers rely on chickens for meat and eggs. They also make excellent pets. Silkie chickens are one of the most unusual and friendly breeds. Silk feathers distinguish this breed, which originated in Southeast Asia. They are inexpensive, simple to care for, and can grow in both hot and cold climates. They can be affectionate as well as companionable.
Blue State Turkeys are a distinct breed of poultry. These are also known as slate turkeys or lavender turkeys. Rarely, the Blue State Turkey is a heritage breed threatened by American livestock breed protection.
8. Important Tips to Start Poultry Farming in USA
Start small at first – If you are new to the market, do not venture into large-scale poultry farming. You must begin small and gradually expand as your business grows. Before starting a business, you should conduct a thorough feasibility study. If there are too many competitors or if the supply of poultry products in your area exceeds the demand, consider starting your own business elsewhere or starting another one.
Consider meat packaging and production – Many people buy poultry from grocery stores and supermarkets. Few people still buy live animals because they believe that pre-packaged meat is low-pressure and can be used to make food in a matter of minutes. As a result, you should think about starting a meat production and packaging business to sell your farm products.
9. Chicken industry in the United States
The chicken industry is the most successful and important industry in the United States. Over the last 50 years, the American broiler industry has evolved from a fragmented, locally based business to a highly efficient, vertically integrated, progressive success story that is increasingly delivering to consumers all over the country and the world. The modern poultry industry produces nutritious, high-quality products that have become more affordable over time.
10. Key Facts of The Broiler Chicken Industry in USA
- Approximately 30 federally inspected companies are involved in the poultry rearing, processing, and marketing business on a “vertically integrated” basis, which means the company can ensure quality at all stages of the process.
- Around 25,000 family farmers have production contracts with poultry companies.
- The United States has the world’s largest broiler chicken industry, with approximately 17% of its production exported.
- After Brazil, the United States is the world’s second-largest broiler exporter.
- Americans consume more than 93.5 pounds of chicken per person, making it the most popular protein in the country.
- Georgia, Arkansas, Alabama, North Carolina, and Mississippi are the top broiler-producing states in the United States.
11. Significance of Poultry Production In United State
Poultry production was made possible by the discovery of vitamin D, which allowed chickens to be kept in captivity all year. Due to a lack of sunlight, chickens did not breed during the winter season, and off-season egg production, incubation, and meat production were all difficult, making poultry a seasonal and expensive proposition. Year-round production cut costs, particularly for broilers. Artificial daylight supplementation is also used. The demand for labour increased as production and quality improved.
Farmers typically triple the number of chickens in their flock, place three hens in a birdcage, or convert their floor cages from one hen deck to triple-decker hens. Shortly afterwards, prices fell even further, and many egg farmers went out of business. It marked the beginning of the shift from family farms to larger, vertically integrated operations. Because of the drop in profits, consumer prices fell overall, with poultry and eggs losing their status as luxury foods.
The vertical integration of the egg and poultry industries came late, after years of major technological changes (including the development of modern broiler breeding techniques, the adoption of Cornish cross broilers, the use of cage laying, etc.).
The chickens can be slaughtered and frozen for use in pre-packaged commercial products, or they can be delivered to fresh markets or wholesalers. Meat-type chickens now gain market weight in 6 to 7 weeks, compared to three times the time required 50 years ago. This is due to genetic selection and nutritional changes, both of which are illegal in the United States for poultry use. Previously used only on rare occasions, general availability and low prices have made chicken a common meat product in developed countries.
After the second laying season, laying hens are slaughtered in the United States. When the hen is 18-20 weeks old, the laying period begins (depending on the breed and season). At any age, some egg breeds have low commercial value. These “day-old children” are sometimes sold as bird food. Older chickens are also less expensive commercially.
Historically, poultry production was dispersed across the agricultural sector. Egg production takes place in the early spring when farm costs are high and income is low. The herd was the most important source of income on many farms, though it was often overlooked by farmers because the money came in small increments.
12. Feeding Options for Poultry Farming in USA
- Commercially raised chickens are typically fed a complete feed, which contains all of the proteins, energy, vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients necessary for proper growth, egg production, and bird health.
- After the baby is born, chickens are given a high-protein starter diet that lasts 6 to 8 weeks. They are then transformed into either a high-energy, high-protein, or high-protein diet.
- Beans and peas are good sources of protein in poultry diets, but they must be processed (roasted or steamed). Raw, unprocessed beans contain enzyme inhibitors, which interfere with digestion and nutrient absorption.
- Antibiotics and other medications may be present in poultry feed. A consistent diet is provided by scheduled feeding.
- Coccidiosis is a chicken disease that is difficult to control in the environment, and adult chickens can develop resistance if exposed to a mild case. The standard practice is to feed coccidiostat feeds until the animal is about 16 weeks old, then switch to untreated feeds. Even if treatment is required to prevent the spread of infection in older chickens, the treated feed cannot be fed in the final week before harvest.
Learn How to Feed Chickens
You can even mix your poultry feed with store-bought ingredients. It would be fantastic if you could learn how to make feeds. Make sure you specialise in properly preparing poultry feed. It should be a well-balanced blend with high nutritional value. Fewer eggs will result from a lack of proper nutrition. Malnutrition causes a variety of diseases in these chickens. Chickens, for example, suffer from dermatitis, paralysis, and liver syndrome. These diseases are caused by a vitamin deficiency in the diet. Chickens aged 1 to 7 weeks have 2900 kg of calories, while adults should have 2800 kg of calories. Corn and Azolla should never have more than 10-11% moisture because it can cause fungus growth. As a result, only purchase feed for your poultry business from a reputable company.
14. Develop a Poultry Health Management Plan
The absence of a health management plan poses a risk to the poultry industry. As a result, the mortality rate of poultry birds may increase. You should be aware of the common poultry diseases that can seriously harm the poultry industry. As a result, you should have an effective poultry health management plan for your poultry farm.
The plan must keep requirements like clean drinking water and proper hygiene in place. In addition, your poultry farm light management plan should be flawless. The chickens require adequate lighting in the area where they are kept. They require 16 hours of light per day. Yellow, red, and orange light is thought to be the best 24-hour light for broiler breeds. Before starting your own poultry business, consult a lighting specialist.
Consider the Investment in Poultry Farming Business
- Starting a poultry farm will require a significant amount of capital.
- You intend to establish a small poultry farm. However, many basic facilities are required to run the farm successfully.
- The most important equipment in poultry farming is feeders, drinkers, lighting systems, incubators, and brooders, among others. Then, purchase land specifically for your poultry operation. You will also require funds to pay the salaries of your employees.
Cost to Start A Poultry Farm Business in the USA?
Well, you should be prepared to spend anywhere between $ 5,000 and $ 25,000. The cost of starting a poultry farm business is determined by your level of enthusiasm. This figure includes three months’ salary for all employees as well as the minimum breeding capacity in the United States. You’ll be required to work as a farm manager, sales and marketing officer, and even a security guard. Some of you may be considering starting a poultry farm from your own home. You will avoid investing in agricultural land in this case. However, only those with sufficient space in the compound should consider this option. As a result, people in the village can easily begin poultry farming.
Starting a poultry business in the United States is a good idea for both domestic and international investors because there are numerous tax breaks and financing options. However, the initial costs of establishing a chicken farm are determined by its size. Starting a small poultry farm business has advantages, especially for young and inexperienced traders.
The financial risks are low, and the good news is that you can carefully monitor the entire process to ensure that you are using only premium and organic feeds that add value to your final product. Starting a small business in the poultry industry will typically cost you between $5,000 and 25,000 dollars, including the first three months’ salary of your employees.
How Profitable is Chicken Farming in the USA?
A chicken coop and some high-quality food are required to start a poultry business. Here’s what you need to know to make more money from this hobby. American preferences for meat-based protein sources have shifted over the last few decades, shifting from beef to chicken because it is cheaper and allegedly healthier. The truth is that eating organic chicken can help you lose weight and live a long and healthy life.
In the United States, there were over 230,000 poultry farms, but less than 10% specialised in organic farming, providing safe, non-GMO, and hormone-free poultry meat. You can’t go wrong if you believe the poultry industry will become far more saturated with farms and farmers. Recent market surveys and forecasts confirm that global demand for poultry will continue to rise in the coming decades. Despite the fact that most chickens live in harsh conditions, with no access to natural light and less than a square foot of space, it is not surprising that the poultry industry, as well as large fast-food chains, is expanding rapidly.
To grow quickly, most chickens are fed a special blend of superfoods rich in nutrients and minerals. However, things appear to have changed in the last decade, thanks to those who joined the slow food movement to raise awareness of the dangers of injecting poultry meat.
Unfortunately, up to 70% of the meat we eat today contains oestrogen, a hormone that will eventually affect meat quality and endanger our health. Regular consumption of injected meat can result in puberty, overweight, obesity, and heart disease, but there are some risks. This is one of the reasons why people are becoming more self-conscious about their diet and preferring organic alternatives. People are willing to pay more for products that are certified organic and grown without the use of antibiotics, hormones, or other chemicals.
Treat Sick Poultry Birds Immediately
- For many people, owning a chicken farm is a dream come true. However, in addition to purchasing chickens, you should build the best chicken egg incubator for your birds, feed them, and provide them with a safe environment.
- Consider the type of business – Because it is the most affordable, chicken has become the most popular meat in the United States over the years.
- The country is also the world’s largest producer of chicken broilers.
- Raising chickens for egg production appears to be a viable option for businesses with limited resources. The good news is that your business will most likely be profitable regardless of what you choose because there will never be a shortage of meat and egg consumers in this world.
- Annual Summary of Hatchery Production – This includes data from US hatcheries. Broiler babies are born on a monthly basis in 19 states and the United States. In the United States, egg-type chickens hatched monthly; on the first day of each month, the number of eggs laid in incubators was fixed for weekly broiler chicks and eggs for 19 states. Each month in the United States, turkey chickens were kept, turkey eggs were incubated, and turkey poults were hatched.
- Chicken is the most popular protein in the United States. Every year, Americans consume 95 million dozen eggs.
- The United States exports about 18% of its poultry meat, making it the world’s second-largest exporter.
- According to the National Chicken Council, 95% of broiler chickens are raised by farmers from approximately 25,000 families who have contracts with approximately 30 companies.
- In the United States, Alabama and Arkansas are the leaders in broiler production.
- Turkey’s bird production is highest in North Carolina and Minnesota.
The market for poultry Meat
Non-laying hens were slaughtered and slaughtered as a source of chicken meat. However, chicken meat supply fell short of demand, and poultry was expensive. Broiler or “spring hens,” young male chickens sold when young and tender (usually less than 3 pounds live weight), were a byproduct of the egg industry; and “fowls” or “stewing hens,” also a byproduct of the egg industry, were old hens for laying. Egg-type chicken carcasses are no longer available in supermarkets.
How to Start Poultry Farming in USA? If you live in one of the following US states and want to start a commercial poultry farming business, this article can help you get started.
Also Read: How to Start Poultry Farming in Uganda?